skip navigation

Waterloo takes Game 2 to even series

By Jim Olander, 04/20/19, 11:00PM CDT


Herd host Games 3 and 4 Tuesday and Wednesday night

Waterloo, IA—With four guys out due to injuries the night before and the team playing their fourth game in five days, it all caught up with the Stampede Saturday night as they fell 6-0 to the Waterloo Black Hawks in Game 2 of the Western Conference Semi-Finals. The series is now tied 1-1 with Games 3 and 4 set to be played in Sioux Falls this Tuesday and Wednesday night. Sioux Falls took Game 1, 3-2 in overtime on Friday night. The Black Hawks scored two goals in each period to even the series. Jaxson Stauber stopped 23 of 27 shots in goal while Josh Langford stopped 8 of 10 while in relief.

Though tired, the Stampede came out with good energy to start the game and created some good scoring chances, but it would be Waterloo getting the first goal. Matt Cameron picked up the puck at the top of the right circle and wristed a shot into the upper left-hand corner of the net to give Waterloo a 1-0 lead at 4:59 of the first. The Stampede nearly tied it moments later when goaltender Evan Fear got out of position leading to a chance for Jared Westcott, but his shot was blocked by the legs of Hank Sorenson and kept it a one goal game. The Hawks would go on the power play on a questionable penalty call on Austen Swankler at 16:13 and they converted at 16:57 when Hank Sorenson wristed a shot from the high slot perfectly into the upper right-hand corner of the net for a 2-0 lead. Waterloo outshot the Herd 12-11 in the period.

Things got very physical in the second period resulting in lots of penalties and slowing down the flow of the game. It still remained just a two-goal game midway through the second period, but the Herd finally started to show some fatigue and some signs they were missing some key guys in the lineup. The Hawks made it a three-goal game at 10:31 when Brehdan Engum scored on blast from the high slot. Minutes later the Hawks were on another power play and they would convert at 13:59 when Wyatt Schingoethe sent a pass across the slot to Matej Blumel who slid across the ice and tipped the puck past Stauber  for a 4-0 advantage. After playing 296 minutes this week alone, the Herd gave him a break and brought in affiliate goaltender Josh Langford. Waterloo outshot the Stampede 17-8 in the period.

The Black Hawks put the game away for good in the third period with a goal at 5:29 of the period when Josh Langford’s clearing attempt was stopped by Teddy Lagerback who quickly fired the puck into the net before Langford could recover to make it 5-0. Matej Blumel tallied his second of the night at 11:08 to cap off the scoring.

Waterloo outshot the Stampede 8-7 in the third period and 37-26 in the game. The Black Hawks went 4-for-7 on the power play while the Herd were 0-for-9.

The series now shifts to Sioux Falls for Games 3 and 4 at the PREMIER Center. Game 3 is set for Tuesday night while Game 4 will take place on Wednesday. Puck drops are 7:05 PM each night. Tickets for Game 3 are on sale now through the PREMIER Center or any Ticketmaster outlet. Tickets for Game 4 will go on sale on Monday at 10 AM through the PREMIER Center and Ticketmaster. The Stampede office will be open Monday at 8 AM to purchase tickets as well.