skip navigation

Stampede wrap-up 40-man camp

By Stampede, 08/02/22, 6:30PM CDT


The Stampede wrapped up their 2022 40-man camp with two scrimmages against Sioux City

SIOUX FALLS, SD – The Sioux Falls Stampede wrapped up their 40-man camp Tuesday afternoon with two scrimmages against the Sioux City Musketeers at the IcePlex. Both games went into overtime shootouts, with Stampede’s Gold Team winning 3-2 against Sioux City’s Green Team, and the Herd’s Navy Team falling 6-5 against the Grey Musketeers squad.

Some familiar names connected to get the Gold Team on the board first with just six seconds remaining in the first period. Maddox Fleming fed Max Rud in the slot, with Rud burying the shot to give them a 1-0 lead, with the second assist credited to Sam Harris.

With 11:25 remaining in the second period, Sioux City’s Riley Brueck scooped the puck up from behind the Sioux Falls net and wrapped it around for a quick shot in front of the Stampede netminder to tie the game up at one apiece. Sioux Falls answered back about two minutes later when Clint Levens knocked the puck in on a power play, with the assist from Cole Miller.

Sioux City tied the game up at 2-2 with 5:06 remaining in regulation as Brueck scored his second of the night and a power play goal with an assist from Cade Kozak. The game would then go into an overtime, which was an automatic shootout. Both teams had four shooters, with Fleming and Paul Minnehan scoring for the Stampede to give them the 3-2 victory.

Aiden Campbell started in net for Stampede’s Gold team before Hunter Garvey replaced him between the pipes with 6:23 remaining in the second period.

The Stampede were the first on the board in their second scrimmage of the day, as well, with the Navy team scoring with 11:14 remaining in the first period. Jason Gallucci took a shot from the point, and Javon Moore tipped it into the net for a 1-0 lead. Sioux City’s Grey team tied the game up 1-1 with just 12.3 seconds remaining in the first period when Cole Longacre took a shot from the right circle while the goalie was out of position.

The second period saw a flurry of goals starting with Nick Ring's unassisted tally with 14:10 left on the clock. Ben Poitras tied it back up with a quick shot off of a faceoff less than two minutes later, but Grant Dillard would put the Herd back up by one with a snipe from the right circle, assisted by Luke Levandowski.

Poitras tallied another goal in the second period with 6:58 remaining, and Sioux City pulled ahead by one with a goal from Sawyer Scholl. The period concluded with the Musketeers leading 4-3.

Nolan Nenow tied the game back up for the Stampede about three minutes into the third period, the assist credited to Micah Berger. Sioux City then pulled ahead once more when William Hughes was left alone in front of the net and knocked in a pass from Adam Pietila.

With the Stampede netminder pulled, Nenow had a thrilling unassisted tally with just 2.7 seconds remaining in regulation to eventually send the second game of the day into an overtime shootout. Nenow and Berger were the shooters for the Stampede, but neither could get the puck past the Sioux City netminder while both Musketeers shooters scored, giving the Muskies a 6-5 win.

Aidan Spooner started between the pipes for the Stampede before Jackson Irving took his place in the net in the middle of the second period.

The two games this afternoon concluded the Stampede's 40-man camp. Players selected to return will be reporting back to Sioux Falls at the end of August, with the first on-ice practice planned for early September.