Stampede look to continue strong play at home
The Sioux Falls Stampede (13-5-1) return to the Sioux Falls Arena this weekend when they host Des Moines and Lincoln on Friday and Saturday night.
The Stampede are coming off an impressive week in which they earned five of a possible six points against Western Conference opponents. Last Wednesday, the Herd defeated the Fargo Force, 3-2 in overtime. On Friday, Sioux Falls topped Sioux City 6-2 and on Saturday, the Herd earned a point with a 3-2 overtime loss in Fargo. The Herd enter the week just one point behind Waterloo for first place in the Western Conference.
Des Moines enters the week with a 9-10-1 record and in seventh place in the West, but just two points out of fourth. Lincoln enters the week with an 11-5-1 mark and four points behind the Stampede for second place.
Avera Teddy Bear Toss this Saturday
This Saturday is the Avera Teddy Bear Toss. Bring a NEW stuffed animal to the arena and toss it onto the ice after the Herd’s first goal against the Stars.
Be sure to write your Section, Row and Seat number on the tag of the bear for your chance to win one of several great prizes! All stuffed animals will be donated to the Pediatric Unit of Avera Hospital.
Stampede License Plate Holder giveaway Sat.
Be amongst the first 1,000 fans through the doors this Saturday and receive a FREE Stampede License Plate Holder! Show your Stampede pride everywhere you drive! Doors open at 6:15 PM Saturday night.
Stampede Did You Know???
· Charlie Lindgren ranks fourth amongst USHL goaltenders in wins with 8. He is 8-3-1 overall with a 2.66 GAA and a .904 save percentage.
· Zeb Knutson has five points (3g, 2a) in his last four games and 12 points (8g, 4a) in his last 10 games.
· Todd Skirving has 11 goals in his last 10 games, 6 of those have come one the powerplay.
· The Herd have tallied the second most goals of any team in the USHL so far this season with 73. Only Waterloo (86) has scored more.
· The Stampede are 12-2-0 when scoring the first goal of the game this season.
· Sioux Falls is a perfect 9-0-0 when leading after one period and 10-0-0 when leading after two periods this season.
· Saturday’s overtime loss in Fargo was the first one-goal loss of the season for the Herd who are 4-0-1 in one-goal games.
· The Stampede have won three straight home games entering this weekend. The Herd are 11-2-0 at home this season.
Former Stampede goalies shining in college
Several former Stampede goaltenders are shining through the first two months of the college hockey season.
Eric Hartzell (2007-09) ranks fourth amongst all collegiate goaltenders with an 8-2-2 record, a 1.56 GAA and a .927 save percentage in 12 games for Quinnipiac. He already has two shoutouts on the season.
The senior has helped lead the Bobcats to a 5-0-1 run over their last six games and 8-3-2 overall. Quinnipiac has been ranked in the top 20 for the last few weeks and will play at Union and RPI this weekend.
Jay Williams (2011-12) is off to a 6-2-2 start with the Miami RedHawks. He has a 2.18 GAA and a .915 save percentage. In his last start, he made 13 saves and blanked the Michigan State Spartans in a 2-0 win on November 17th.
The RedHawks are 7-2-3 overall and lead the CCHA with a 4-2-2 Conference record. They travel to Alaska-Fairbanks this weekend.
Juho Olkinuora is off to a 3-1-0 start with the Denver Pioneers. He has a 2.46 GAA and a .918 save percentage.
Stephon Williams to appear on Inside Stampede Hockey
Former Stampede goaltender Stephon Williams (2010-12) will be a guest with Jim Olander on Inside Stampede Hockey today at 5:40 PM. The show airs live on 1230-AM and www.kwsn.com from 5-6 PM.
Williams recorded his first two career collegiate victories in goal for MSU-Mankato as they swept the Wisconsin Badgers in Wisconsin for the first time in school history last weekend. Williams made 32 saves in a 4-2 win on Friday and then 33 saves in another 4-2 win on Saturday. Williams is now 2-3-1 with a 2.46 GAA and a .910 save percentage on the season.