STAMPEDE GAME DAY AT SIOUX CITY 3-16-13
The Stampede face the Musketeers for the eighth and final time this season. Sioux Falls holds a 6-0-1 record against the Muskies with Sioux City taking the last game, 5-4 in a shootout back on February 2nd in Sioux City.
The Stampede are coming off a 5-1 win last night in Kearney, Neb. against Tri-City. C.J. Franklin led the way with a hat trick while Dennis Kravchenko added a goal and three assists to lead the Stampede to their 38th victory of the season. The Herd are just four wins shy of tying the franchise record for wins in a season (42) which was set back during the 2005-06 season. That was set during a 60-game season, meaning Sioux Falls needs to win five of their next six games to break the record in the same amount of time.
The Herd have won five straight road games and are 8-2-0 over their last 10 games overall. Sioux Falls holds an 18-8-2 record away from home, best in the USHL. The Herd enter tonight’s game six points ahead of Fargo for first place in the West and just three points behind Dubuque in the race for the Anderson Cup. The Stampede’s magic number to clinch a playoff spot is three. Even with a win tonight though, the Herd will have to wait until next week to clinch as Omaha is idle tonight.
Sioux City is one of the hottest teams in the USHL despite sitting on the bottom of the standings. The Musketeers helped the Herd last night by topping Dubuque 2-1 in a shootout and have now won four of their last five games and seven of their last ten. The Musketeers are 10-4-1 in their last 15 games. Not bad for a team that started the season 7-22-10. An amazing 31 of their 54 games played have been decided by just a goal where they are now 9-11-11.
Players to watch/listen for tonight:
· Dennis Kravchenko has eight points (2g, 6a) in his last five games. He leads the Stampede in scoring with 51 points (18g, 33a).
· Thomas Forgione has nine points (1g, 8a) in seven games against the Musketeers this season.
· C.J. Franklin has 10 points (7g, 3a) in his last 10 games.
· Charlie Lindgren is 5-0-1 with a 2.11 GAA and a .918 save percentage in six starts against Sioux City this season.
· Jake Guentzel has five points (1g,4a) in seven games against the Stampede. The brother of former Stampede stars, Ryan and Gabe Guentzel, leads the team in scoring with 50 points.
· Jared Thomas has 12 points (3g, 9a) in his last 10 games. He has seven assists in his last five games.
· Kyle Hayton is 4-1-0 with a 1.75 GAA and a .932 save percentage in his last five starts.